Published on August 3rd, 2016 | by SOMDParents0
National Watermelon Day
Happy National Watermelon Day!
Watermelons are such a yummy and healthy snack, it’s no wonder they have their own day dedicated to them!
Watermelon is mostly water — about 92 percent — but this refreshing fruit is soaked with nutrients. Each serving has significant levels of vitamins A, B6 and C, lots of antioxidants, and amino acids. There’s even a modest amount of potassium.
Today, over four billion pounds of watermelon are produced each year in the U.S. About 85% of watermelons are purchased in fresh form by consumers. Although there is some watermelon production in virtually all states, about three-fourths of all U.S. watermelons are grown in Florida, California, Texas, Georgia, and Indiana. On an average, per person basis, we eat over 15 pounds of fresh watermelon each year.
In honor of Watermelon Day, we’d like to share an easy and customizable watermelon pizza recipe that the kids will love! With this delicious fruit salad alternative, there’s no doubt the whole family will reach their recommended serving of fruit!
- Shredded coconut and chocolate syrup
- Any additional fruit you’d like on your pizza!
- Start by cutting a large, round slice of watermelon (keep the rind on)
- Sprinkle your watermelon slice with shredded coconut for cheese
- Squirt some syrup on the top for sauce
- Spread the rest of your chosen fruit toppings onto the watermelon
- Cut the watermelon slice into 8 pieces.
- Enjoy your watermelon pizza for dessert!
How to choose the best watermelon for your pizza:
Big or small, the watermelon should feel heavy for its size. The heavier the melon, the better. Also, Look at the bottom or belly of the melon. Watermelons develop a splotch where they rest on the ground. When this splotch is yellow color, it’s ripe. If you’re still not sure, tap the watermelon with your knuckle. A ripe one will have a deep hollow sound. Under-ripe or over-ripe melons will sound dull.