Published on December 13th, 2016 | by SOMDParents0
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Christmas Trees
These chocolate covered strawberry trees look so cute you might not be able to eat them! Although this recipe can get messy, your children will love making these delectable treats before Christmas! We suggest eating them within 1 day because the moisture in the berries tends to make things a little soggy!
- 12 ounces dark green candy melts (found at Amazon, Hobby Lobby or Michael’s)
- 1 pound of strawberries, stems removed
- 24 Oreo cookies
- White Icing
- Candy Stars (order them from Amazon)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Add water by the teaspoon and whisk until the desired consistency is reached. You want it to be thick like toothpaste.
- Set a heat proof bowl over a small pot of simmering water on the stovetop (double boiler). Slowly melt the candy melts in the bowl, stirring occasionally. Do not allow moisture to come in contact with the candy.
- Spoon or pipe a small amount of icing onto the top of each Oreo. This will adhere the strawberry to the cookie base.
- Once candy melts are fully melted, turn the heat to low while you dip the strawberries using a toothpick inserted into the cut end.
- Shake off excess candy coating gently. Using a second toothpick inserted into the pointed end of the dipped strawberry, carefully place the strawberry on top of the icing on the Oreo.
- Decorate with sprinkles and a candy star while the candy coating is still wet. It will usually dry in about 10 minutes.